Evelyn Hill, Inc. has always been interested in conservation and environmental protection. As the official concessionaire of the Statue of Liberty National Monument and Ellis Island we have made great steps forward on our path toward sustainability and low impact operations. Some of our efforts are outlined below.
• Over 390,000 Pounds of material was recycled in 2010.
• 93.56% of all refuse was recycled.
• 49,000 Pounds of compost was generated.
• 17,000 pounds of compancted plastic bottles were recycled.
• LEED Platinum Certified
• Geothermal heating & cooling system
• Recycled content of the building is 43%
• LED lighting reduces electric demand by 65%
• Rainwater collection reduces water usage by 40%
• Restrooms feature waterless urinals and ultra-low flush toilets
• Used cooking oil from Crown Cafe powers a generator that provides some electricity to the gift pavilion
Any organization’s purchased electricity use can be a significant source of air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions. This is why Evelyn Hill joined the "EPA Green Power Partnership" and has reduced our environmental impact while also providing these valuable benefits to our operations on the islands:
•Avoid carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions
•Reduce some types of air pollution
•Hedge against future electricity price increases
•Serve as a brand differentiate
•Generate customer, investor, or stakeholder loyalty and employee pride
•Create positive publicity and enhance your organization’s public image
•Demonstrate civic leadership
Evelyn Hill, Inc. helps fund carbon reduction and clean energy projects in our efforts to reduce our environmental footprint as well as set the industry standard in green technology. To read more about 3Degrees and their mission check them out at www.3degreesinc.com
We are Certified as a Green Restaurant and currently serve these organic foods:•All Produce
Our Statue of Liberty bottled water is from a local spring.
Full Article at organicreviews.org